Dr. Madan Lal Goel (also known as Dr. M. Lal Goel) is an Emeritus Professor of Political Science at the University of West Florida. Dr. Goel was the Director of International Studies at the university. He retired several years ago, but has stayed active at UWF. He served as the President of the University’s Retired Employees Association.Dr. Goel is an active community-level speaker, and has delivered many speeches on a variety of hot current topics.
His Life Story :
Ph.D. Political Science, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1969.
M.A. Journalism and International Relations, University of Oregon, 1959.
B.A. Liberal Arts (Honors), Ranbir College, Punjab University, 1956.
Professor of Political Science, University of West Florida, 1978—2003
Director of International Studies, University of West Florida, 1980–2003
Associate Professor, University of West Florida, 1972-78.
Assistant Professor, University of West Florida, 1969-1972.
Instructor and then Assistant Professor, Niagara University, N.Y., 1966-1969.
Social and Political Science Research Methods, Delhi: Ajanta International Publishers, 1997, 307 pages. Coauthored with Dr. V. B. Singh.
Political Science Research: A Methods Handbook, Ames: Iowa State University Press, 1988, 310 pages.
Political Science Research: A Methods Workbook, Ames: Iowa State University Press, 1988, 194 pages.
Political Participation: How and Why Do People Get Involved in Politics? Chicago: Rand-McNally, 1977, (2nd edition), 223 pages.
(Reviewed in American Political Science Review, 1978, p. 1482). Co-authored with Dr. Lester Milbrath.
Political Participation in a Developing Nation: India, New York: Asia Publishing House, 1975, 234 pages. (Reviewed in Journal of Asian Studies, 1977, p. 769).
Honors and Awards
National Science Foundation Award for College Teachers, University of Colorado, Summer 1970.
Recipient of the Distinguished Research and Creative Activities Award, The University of West Florida, 1979. Only one faculty member is chosen yearly for this honor at the University.
Recipient of the Distinguished Teaching Award, University of West Florida Student Government, 1996. One faculty member is chosen from the College.
Recipient of the Teaching Excellence Award (the TIP Award), 1997.
This Award was established by the Florida Legislature to recognize outstanding teachers in the State.
Recipient of the University’s “Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching and Advising Award,” 1997. Selection for this Award is made by a University-wide faculty committee.
Recipient of the University’s PEP (Professorial Excellence Program) Award, 1998. This award was established by the Florida Legislature to recognize outstanding faculty in the State for their contributions in the three areas of Research, Teaching and Service.
Golden Apple Award, Foundation for Excellence in Education, Florida, 1998.
Recipient of the Fulbright Scholar Award, 1998.
Dr. Goel is an active community-level speaker on topics of national and international interest.
- “Rethinking India’s Governance” in Conversation with Aditi Banerjee, 2020 at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg73oAhN9fw
- “India’s Democracy on Trial,” WAVES Conference, Delhi, Dec 5, 2019
- “Radicalism and Terrorism in the US and the World,” Pensacola, Fl Aug 30, 2019
- “Jews of Asia,” Congregation Keneseth Israel, Allentown, PA, June 9, 2019
- “Trump and the Immigration Debate,” Univ of West Florida, September 14, 2018.
- “Who Are the Jews of India?,” Pensacola, Fl, and Allentown, PA, 2018
- “DIWALI: The Hindu Festival of Lights,” Spring Hill College, AL, Nov 2, 2017
- “Radicalism and Terrorism,” World Affairs Roundtable, AL, Oct 4 & 11, 2017
- “Death of Europe—Its Demographic Crisis,” Univ West Fl, Oct 13, 2017
- Emerson, Thoreau and Walden Pond,” Unitarian Univ Church, 3 Sept, 2017
- “The Perennial Tradition in World Religions,” Unit. Fellowship, AL, 15 May 2016
- “Celebrating Interreligious Friendship,” Center for Interreligious Understanding, Spring Hill College, AL, 19 April 2016
- “Diwali: the Festival of Lights,” Pensacola Unitarians, 15 Nov 2015
- “Evolution–Big Bang to the 21st Century,” Unitarian Univ. Church, 24 May 2015
- “Whither Goes America?” Fl Leisure Learning Soc, 10 April 2015
- “Rise of Yoga and Bhakti in the United States,” WAVES, Delhi, 17 Jan 2015
- “The Importance of One’s Mother Tongue”, Punjab Gobindgarh College, 7 Mar 15
- “NRI’s in the U.S.,” Pondicherry University, 12 March 2015
- “Whither Goes India?” Fl Leisure Learning Society, 26 September 2014
- Whither Goes the Middle East,” Fl Leisure Learning Society, 19 Sept 2014